Carp on the Brain

I've been toying with some ideas for carp flies.  The one most highly recommended by a friend of mine from various fishing sites, Jeff Creamer, is an all black articulated deer hair bug.  I am nowhere near the deer hair artist that he is, so I've been brainstorming different ideas to get a similar action in the water.  I could get the deer hair fly done, but it would take me a while and not be nearly as neat.

One idea he mentioned was using foam in the tail section to make it stand up from the bottom instead of deer hair.  This got my wheels turning, because foam is a medium I can work with from tying hundreds of bluegill bugs and cicadas over the years.  So I very loosely adapted his pattern into a very different variation using a foam tail section with a buck tail red attractor tail.  For the body he also used deer hair, but I went with some dubbing and some rubber legs.

I know my flies aren't up to your quality, so sorry if you don't want my fly attached in any way to your name Jeff haha!  Didn't want to claim the idea as my own though.  This fly is tied on a Risen Fly size 2 egg hook with an articulated shank tied in with 60 lb mono.  There is one red bead at the connection, and I did use some deer hair to cover the connection between the hook and articulated shank.  Used peacock herl for the head of the fly.




I've also been tying a lot of articulated streamers lately for bass, although it's about topwater time by now, and then I will mostly fish topwater then because I love it.  This is a baby largemouth with craft fur and some estaz wrapped underneath to give it some flash.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Golden Missile

Walter

Recent Flies